Jan 25, 2005

Snowy Happy People

This past weekend was the happiest I've felt in a long time, and I would say most of the bliss was brought on by the 13 inches of snow. I put on my black and pink rain boots and danced around like a giddy 5 year old. I had no idea that when it snows New York suddenly becomes this happy neighborly place to be. Kids are sledding at Central Park, shop owners are whistling as they shovel a path on the sidewalk, even the dogs are excited running around in their cute little winter sweaters. The streets take on an eerie calm with the lack of cars (yes, even my beloved avenue C had some moments of silence this weekend).

It's funny how the Lord works in things. The past couple of weeks have probably been some of the roughest yet with my cousin being out of the country and work being trying and wanting to throw in the towel on this insane city. But then it snowed, almost as if God knew it was time for a fresh start, a new perspective and a couple days to just relax and be a kid again. Saturday night I got stuck waiting at the bus stop for a good 30 min. and ended up making all kinds of new friends. My favorite is Bugsy, a big 40 something year old black man who I'm pretty sure wanted to be my boyfriend, nevermind that he he's been married 29 years (I later find out his wife has a boyfriend which, according to Bugsy, is "no big deal"). So, I had to let him down gently but he was a good sport about it. Sunday there was more playing in the snow to be done, this time at Central Park w/ Alex, Luke, Karen and Diana, my friend from church. I never reached my goal of building a snowman, but now I'll have something to look forward to when the next blizzard hits.

Probably my most favorite thing about NYC so far is my church--Redeemer--which certainly lives up to its name. I love everything about it from the afro-haired drummer who plays in the jazz worship band on Sundays to the free cookies and coffee we get after each service. And not to mention that Pastor Tim Keller may be the one of the wisest scholars of the Word I have ever come across. What he preaches is real and truth and uncomfortable at times...and I respect him for all of those things and more. This is a church that I believe in , and I believe God is using it to breathe new life into a dying city. www.redeemer.com

No comments: