Nov 28, 2004

A Life Worth Living

A question people always seem to like asking is, "So, how long do you think you'll be in New York?" My answer: until I hear otherwise. I've realized how important it is to approach life as an investment. My parents, out of genuine concern for their daughter, like to remind me that if I discover I really don't like my job to just remember that it doesn't have to be long-term, and I do have the freedom to quit. But what's there to learn when we spend our whole lives running everytime we encounter a situation that's uncomfortable and new and makes us need something bigger than ourselves? I'll admit it's easy to live in this city with a very short-term mentality. For most, New York is their pilgrimage to Mecca....a necessary stop on the path to greatness. But what I know about myself is that I desire to make an impact and be changed in the process, to go throught the thick, thin, good, bad, and ugly of a situation and learn from it all.

My pastor in College Station always used to say that only two things in this world will last forever: the word of God and the souls of men. Such a simple truth challenges me every day of my life. The fact is I am absolutely confident that God's divine leading brought me to this city. And now it is my job to rise to the challenge and invest my every resource into what He has placed before me: co-workers, roomates, clients, church and always my relationship with Him.

Maybe our relentless questioning of the Lord's will--where we are to be and what we are to do--is really a selfish plea. Maybe we just get scared that we'll actually have to face the challenges of the present before God can allow us to move on. Maybe we will have to love people who are annoying or hurtful or completely misunderstand us--love them for everything that we aren't. Maybe we'll be forced to admit our own weakness, our own nauseating sin. And after that maybe we'll understand the beauty of relationship and learn to trust people more because really we're not that much different. And maybe at the peak of our humility we will no longer be questioning the Lord's will....we'll realize we're living it. And perhaps then He will see us fit for the higher places.

"Now it is required that those who have been given a trust prove faithful." - 1 Cor. 4:2

"The Sovereign Lord is my strength; he makes my feet like the feet of a deer, he enables me to go on the heights." - Habakkuk 3:19

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Excellent way to look at life! As one who might be living in NYC this summer, I am excited to find your blog and learn of your experiences. Keep allowing God to guide you.