Nov 20, 2004

Rainy Day Ramblings

Today I did two very socially responsible things (both involving my new checking account): 1) I ordered checks made on recycled paper and a portion of my money goes to some kind of wildlife fund 2) I signed up for a program where I earn points with my debit card and they'll donate money to my school of choice....so, of course I had to represent for Bryan, Texas and support Jane Long Middle school. And, being the high-roller social worker that I am, I'm sure to accrue enough points to award them a new spiral notebook....and maybe even a couple glue sticks (only if the Christmas bonus comes through). But hey, it's the thought that counts right?

So, enough about me saving the world. I've discovered this blog thing is hard to keep up with. It's a lot of pressure to come up with creative material on a daily, or even weekly basis. However, my dear friend Julie Whitaker rises to the challenge with mad skill and never ceases to add a good dose of humor, insight and creativity to my week. Experience the excitement at www.julesdwit.com And, speaking of the lovely Julie, she's coming to see me in NYC next week!!! As you can see, I can barely contain myself. So Jules (since I know you're a computer nerd and will read this within 5 minutes of it being posted) get those walkin' shoes ready!

Living here has made me realize things about myself that I would have never expected. As it turns out, I am both uptight and judgmental....who knew? Once upon a time I thought I was a pretty laid back individual--until I moved in with my cousin Kari. I am convinced that nothing phases her, from stolen wallets to messy rooms to running late to high prices, the girl is invincible. Next to her I am an uptight anal retentive neat freak....and I have to admit it's very humbling being forced to see myself in such a light. So, thank you Kari for teaching me what it really means to roll with the punches. Secondly, I really had myself convinced that I was open-minded until I started my job. Sometimes I want to scream at people and tell them how illogical and ignorant and selfish they're being. And then I catch myself and realize that, in having those thoughts, something in me really thinks I'm better...that I've made better decisions, or used my time more wisely or whatever the case may be. No matter how hard I try to justify my reactions the fact remains that I am an arrogant individual--not exactly something I want to shout from the rooftop.

I'll never forget a verse I came across in a Bible study by Dwight Edwards a few years back:
"In whatever you judge another you condemn yourself; for you who judge practice the same things." (Romans 2:1) The point Dwight makes is that "from God's viewpoint, whenever we judge a sin in someone else's life, there's sure to be a similar kind of sin in ours if we look hard enough." The fact is, we must reach a place where we are able to learn something from every single person that crosses our path.....the drug users, the uneducated and all the social misfits society has to offer. As the verse alludes to, we may very well see reflections of ourselves in these individuals. And, as irony would have it, I am humbled in my own arrogance.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jenn - really appreciate the shout out in the blog tonight. Funny thing is that you have taught me things about myself as well and I feel totally blessed for being able to share this roller coaster ride of an experience here in the city with you... No matter how many "the clothes on the floor are totally bothering me" conversations that we have to have, I am excited to see where God takes us as roomates, family, and true friends in the Lord. I couldn't have asked for anything more than to have you as my compadre through this last year of grad school... you are the bomb ("dot com", literally).
p.s. apologies for any misspellings