Apr 19, 2005

Gay Sex 101

So today I received a certificate for completing a 6 hour training entitled "Crystal Methamphetamine, Barebacking and Men Who Have Sex With Men." I think I'll frame it and put it by my bedside. Gosh, won't my parents be proud?

Ok, the story is that I signed up for the training under the impression I would be learning a lot about crystal meth with a side note about it's more recent impact on the gay community. I'm making efforts to be a little more savvy on substance abuse issues seeing as I've sent about 3 clients off to rehab in the past 2 weeks. Needless to say I ended up learning more than I ever wanted or needed to know about the sex lives of gay men. I did make a new friend named Alejandro--a gay Domican man with a charming accent...he definitely added some much-needed comic relief to my whole experience.

From a spiritual standpoint I guess you could say that I was violated with what us Christians call "worldliness" on so many levels. There are some issues in which the Christian perspective/practice has a few common threads with its worldly counterpart. For the record, sex (and homosexuality) is not one of those issues. I would go into more detail about some moral dilemas and questions that have been running through my head about this matter, but I'm tired and still recovering from the day's culture shock. As I e-mailed to my dad earlier: "It was one of those New York moments where you just feel assaulted by worldliness wondering how a conservative Christian white girl from Texas can possibly help change such a twisted world view....oh the stories Iwill have to tell my kids one day"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jennifer,

I'm putting you in for one of those medals AND sainthood. Remember NYC has more of everything that the rest of the country has. All those things go on in Texas, just not a openly or often (I hope). I think I've figured out that you are a missionary. Keep up the good work.

UK