Sep 16, 2008

Stepping Out

I recently settled upon the fact that I work for the weekends.  And now I am coming to terms with the fact that the weekends are just too short of a thing to be working for.  I'm torn between being unchallenged in my current role and being fearful of the stress that comes with added responsibilities.  I've been down that road before, and it was too much and I quit.  Something tells me it's time to stop being such a wuss and just trust that I won't fall apart at the prospect of a challenge.  

I've been reading My Sister's Keeper (Jodi Picoult) and found a bit of hope in these few lines of thought from a dad about his family's trials:

"It seems remarkable that while one of our daughters is leading us into a legal crisis, the other is in the throes of a medical one--but then again, we have known for quite some time that Kate's at the end stages of renal failure...it is Anna, this time, who's thrown us for a loop.  And Yet--like always--you figure it out; you manage to deal with both.  The human capacity for burden is like bamboo--far more flexible then you'd ever believe at first glance." 

Maybe it's time to step out and start thinking of myself more as bamboo rather than a fragile piece of porcelain or a twig that may snap in half at the slightest weight.  Maybe it's time to trust something bigger than myself.    

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

looooouuuuunnnnggggeee. yeah, let's link to each other. how do we do that exactly?