Oct 21, 2004

Date Night

I always seem to come home really excited about writing, and the second I sit down to do so sleep hits full force. In other words, I apoligize to all my beloved fans out there for failing to create coherent sentences. Today was a big day, huge in fact. Red Sox are going to the world series, I was officially offered a job, and I went on my first date in New York City. Life certainly doesn't come in small doses around these parts.

Let's start with the date since it's fresh on my mind. I went out with an aggie from Hereford, TX. Don't worry, it gets better...he goes by "Slim." So, in traditional Texas style we ate Mexican food, went to a Robert Earl Keen concert and finished up the night at a bar called Coyote Ugly. Seriously, who am I? But I can't lie. Aside from not having a taste for beer or knowing a full chorus to any REK song, I had a pretty good time. Unfortunately I have to be all "deep and spiritual" when it comes to this dating stuff so a good time doesn't hold much weight against the more important issues of God, faith, and our place in this world. What I want is someone who desires to please the Lord more than anything. And at this rate it looks like I may die an old maid. I have a feeling this topic will show it's face in plenty of other entries, so if this leaves you begging for more, don't despair.

About the Red Sox's big win....I'm pumped! I have to be careful where I say that around here though. It's just that my whole life I've had a soft spot for the underdog--I can't help myself. Boston, it's been a fun ride, but if my Astros make it to the big time, well....you'll be yesterday's news.

And finally......I have my first real job and I start on Monday!! Tomorrow I'm paying them 25 bucks to do a criminal background check. Is something wrong with this picture? I know I'm new at this whole job gig and all....but shouldn't I be the one getting paid? At any rate, it feels good to be employed. I have no idea what to expect. Texas girl meets the south Bronx--should be a must-see this holiday season. But until then I'll be savoring my precious last days of freedom.

For those interested, here is my new employer: www.cabny.org

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

PETIE!!!
oh my gosh..i love that you have this blog. its so new yorkerish...makes my blog seem uncool bc yours is so cool and trendy lookin. but anyways...wow!! its been maybe a week or two since ive talked to you and not only do you have a real job but youre going on dates. first of all, im so proud of you getting a job...i feel like its up there on the list of top ten hardest things to do in life...and in new york..maybe top 5? and this date..wow...i think i have a really distorted image of this cs guy, 'slim?' maybe you should try to get one of those new york guys...see what theyre like...let me know. anyways...props to you, petie. youre making a place for yourself up there and thats really admirable - i knew you could do it all along!!! keep us posted bc i assure you youre life is WAY more exciting than mine in pokey college station!!!! love you!!
kate

Anonymous said...

ok one more thing. although you had told me about this job already..i was looking at that website and thought 'cabny'...wait...did petie get a job as a taxicab driver?!?!? ok, laugh at me bc im an idiot that actually had that pass thru my mind, but wouldnt that be super tight if that was your job!? or maybe not..but a fun story to tell people right? right?